We'd Love to Have You Join Us
Ice skating is a wonderful sport where all ages can have fun and enjoy healthy exercise and socialization. Ice skating uses most muscles in the body, improves blood circulation, builds endurance, and increases flexibility. Depending on the intensity of training, ice skating burns from 450 to 1080 calories per hour. Figure skating develops friendships as well as confidence, coordination, poise, grace, rhythm and posture. Figure skating is the art of sport interpreting the art of music. Figure skaters develop skills in both athletics and the arts.
Membership in the Red River Valley Figure Skating Club (RRVFSC) is open to any person who makes application for membership and accompanies the application with payment of the first year's dues. If you have the desire to skate and/or love skating we're here for you. The RRVFSC currently has nearly 100 members. Please join us!
As a valued member of the RRVFSC:
- You will be a member of U.S. Figure Skating, our national governing body.
- You are eligible to compete in U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned events.
- You are eligible to take U.S. Figure Skating tests and will receive certificates of accomplishment and badges for tests passed.
- You have the opportunity to perform in spring Ice Shows.
- You are eligible to attend Club sponsored and Club subsidized activities.
- You can skate during Club purchased ice time.
- You can help support other skaters and receive their support.
- You may vote for board representation at our annual meeting.
- You have the opportunity to enjoy Club social activities.
- You are part of a magnificent group of people dedicated to maintaining the wonderful spirit of figure skating.
The membership year in the RRVFSC runs from June 1st to July 31st, which coincides with U.S. Figure Skating's membership year. The Red River Valley FSC is a member club of U.S. Figure Skating. We are a part of the Upper Great Lakes Region and the Midwestern Section of U.S. Figure Skating. When you join RRVFSC you will become a member of U.S. Figure Skating at no additional cost. Your U.S. Figure Skating membership includes a subscription to SKATING MAGAZINE and includes sports accidental insurance coverage.
- Full member -- full members can be skaters, coaches, board members, judges or any individual who voluntarily supports the sport of figure skating.
- Families with multiple members -- an additional (subsequent) family member may
join at a reduced rate and choose not to receive a second copy of Skating Magazine (U.S. Figure Skating requires that each family receive at least one copy). Subsequent members enjoy all the privileges of our full members.
- Associate member -- an associate membership is available to those individuals who are club members, in good standing, of another home club. The associate membership fee is the same as the RRVFSC full membership, and associate members are expected to comply with the same rules and regulations governing all RRVFSC members. Associate members are not entitled to serve as a Board member or serve as a committee chairperson.
- Honorary member -- honorary members receive this distinction through Board approval. Honorary members are free from paying dues, may represent the club in exhibitions and may attend ice skating sessions under the same rules governing other members. Honorary members may not hold a club office or represent the club in competitions.
Renewing a Membership
Membership renewal begins in early June of each year, well before the June 30th year end. If your membership is not renewed before June 30th, you will be considered a delinquent member and will lose all membership privileges. Any member in arrears for dues will not be able to test, skate on club ice, skate in U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned competitions, be eligible to hold office or be entitled to vote in club elections. A late fee of $20.00 will be assessed to renewals after June 30th.
Code of Conduct
Upon membership, skaters will read and sign our Code of Conduct along with their parents. Parents will be required to read and sign our Parents Code of Conduct and parents will be asked to sign a Consent to Photograph and Interview for their skater in the event their skater is interviewed, photographed or pictures and/or name appear on a website. These are signed on an annual basis as is the Waiver of Liability and Consent for Medical Treatment. All members and/or parents are bound by U.S. Figure Skating rules (GR 1.02-1.03. Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct).
Testing and Competitions
The RRVFSC, through membership in U.S. Figure Skating, encourages skating skills and knowledge through a series of tests to measure the accomplishments of the skater in three areas of figure skating: moves in the field, free skating and ice dancing. Skaters must be members of U.S. Figure Skating before they are eligible to take any proficiency tests. Testing is used to qualify skaters for the various levels of competition. As part of your RRVFSC and U.S. Figure Skating membership you will receive a membership card with your membership number on it. You will use this number throughout your skating career. The number will be required for testing and competing.
Our club is dependent on the volunteer service of its members and friends. All of the club's activities require many people doing small jobs or a few people doing it all. In order to continue providing the benefits the RRVFSC offers to skaters, we encourage each family to support their skater and donate their time and expertise to our various needs.